- Wash hands; Introduce self; Check patient name and DOB/CHI; Explain and gain consent
The Event (PC/HPC)
- Events leading up to attempt e.g. triggering life events, chronic depression
- How long have you felt like this?
- Did you think about how, where, when?
- Did you tell anybody? Leave a note?
- Precautions e.g. where were they (and would they be found)?; Were other aspects of life accounted for e.g. childcare, job, money etc?
- e.g. how many tablets, what tablets, where were they got,
- What did they expect?
- How they came to be in hospital? Were they discovered or brought themselves?
- Associated alcohol/drug use?
- Feelings now
- Angry (either that they attempted or they attempted and failed)
- Feelings of the future
- If you went home now, what would you do?
- If changed mind, why? what changed?
- It can be useful to be blunt- would you try this again? / Have you made any plans if the attempt failed (positive or negative)?
- Feelings now
- Depression screen
- Past medical history including full psychiatric history and past suicide attempts/self harm
- Social History
- Social factors e.g. money, housing etc
- Family history (included in full psych history)
- Ask about willingness to seek help
- Thank patient, wash hands
- Record summary in notes and note any suggestions or take for further action as appropriate
- (the majority will be ok to go home with follow-up in the community)
- Male; old or young
- Unemployed, depressed, lack of or breakdown of social support (including relationships)
- Chronic illness, previous attempts; alcohol/drug abuse