- If score is 0, 1 or 2 on the first question then continue with the next three questions.
- If score is 3 or 4 on the first question – stop here. This indicates FAST positive.
- An overall total score of 3 or more (on the first question or all four questions) is FAST positive.
If FAST positive: you should go on to ask AUDIT questions:
Total Score (all 10 FAST and AUDIT):
- 0-7: lower risk
- 8-15: Increased risk
- 16-19: Higher risk
- 20+: Possible dependence
- Have you felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?
- Have people Annoyed you by criticising your drinking?
- Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?
- Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (Eye-opener) to steady your nerves or get rid of a hangover?
Generally, if the answer to 2 or more is yes, this should alert you.